Hamlet: 26th December - 3rd January

The RSC have issued the following statement:
We are very aware of the need to keep people updated about Hamlet at the Novello Theatre. David Tennant's doctors are delighted with the progress he is making. His recovery is encouraging so far, and we are not ruling out that he might be able to return to Hamlet during the last week of the run, although we cannot be more specific about the exact date of his possible return. We can however confirm that David will not be performing in Hamlet from 26 December 2008 to 3 January 2009 inclusive. Edward Bennett will continue in the title role, with Tom Davey, Ricky Champ and Robert Curtis retaining their understudy roles as Laertes, Guildenstern and Lucianus.


David Tennant said today: "I am so grateful for all the terrific medical attention I have received and although it is frustrating to have to take it easy whilst all my friends and colleagues continue at the Novello Theatre every night, I am aware that I must listen to the experts and take my time. I am impatient to be back at work and sincerely hope to make it back some time before the end of the run. I am very sorry to disappoint anyone who booked to come and see me in Hamlet, but confident that you will be far from disappointed by Edward Bennett's performance in the title role. He is one of British theatre's most promising talents and an opportunity to see his Hamlet, alongside the brilliant ensemble of actors that I have had the great pleasure of working with all year, is very exciting."

If you have any queries regarding your tickets, please contact us on 0844 800 1114 or ticketqueries@rsc.org.uk